Down below are a few fun Virginia Thanksgiving points that might shock you, courtesy of the BerkleyPlantation.com and the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Purchaser Companies.
- Archaeological proof and historical data have disclosed that the first Thanksgiving occurred in 1619 at Berkeley Plantation in Virginia (one particular calendar year and 17 days before the Plymouth, Massachusetts Thanksgiving). The myth that the to start with thanksgiving occurred with the Pilgrims in Massachusetts was born immediately after the Civil War.
- Investors in England who financed the settlement of “Berkley Hundred” tapped John Woodlief to lead the expedition to the New Planet.
- The Berkeley Corporation experienced specified a quite certain list of ten directions to the settlers when they departed England. The very to start with instruction was on landing that they give a prayer of Thanksgiving for their secure voyage and to do so annually and perpetually thereafter.
- Woodlief prayed: “We ordaine that this day of our ships arrival, at the put assigned for plantacon, in the land of Virginia, shall be yearly and perpetually saved holy as a working day of Thanksgiving to Almighty God.”
- In all those times, the celebration of Thanksgiving was strictly a spiritual knowledge, centered totally on prayer. It was a solemn affair, not a pageant of foods, such as the Pilgrims in Massachusetts knowledgeable one yr and 17 times following the actual initially Thanksgiving.
- On November 9, 1962 Virginia Point out Senator John J. Wicker sent a telegram to President John F. Kennedy having challenge with President Kennedy’s 1962 Presidential Thanksgiving Proclamation, exactly where whole credit history for Thanksgiving was offered to the pilgrims in Massachusetts. Senator Wicker claimed he experienced by now confirmed to the Governor of Massachusetts the validity of Virginia’s declare by merely exhibiting the documents to him. In reaction, Senator Wicker acquired an apologetic reply from famed Historian Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. producing on behalf of the President. Mr. Schlesinger attributed the “error” to unconquerable New England bias on the aspect of the White Property staff members.
- Hayman potatoes ended up introduced to Virginia in the 1800’s from the West Indies. Only a tiny selection of localized…